Tuesday, June 9, 2015

Green's Soup



I was craving soup one day and told my husband I was going to make up a recipe.  He told me that he had some soup at a restaurant that had spinach and sausage and that it was really good.  From there my mind began to run and I came up with this super yummy comfort soup.  It is full of healthy vegetables so you don't feel guilty when you go back for seconds...and I bet you will!  I love making this because it makes a full pot and you will have plenty of leftovers for a few meals to come.  It also freezes really well so it is also great to give to people who have just had a baby, are sick, or are in need of a home cooked but quick meal.  I hope you enjoy this soup as much as we do!  

Ingredients
1 pack Andouille Sausage (sliced about ½ inch thick)
½ Rotisserie chicken (pulled apart into medium sized pieces)
1 red onion (chopped)
1 bell pepper (chopped)
3-4 stalks of celery (sliced about ½ inch thick)
3-4 carrots (sliced like celery)
1 bunch of Turnip Greens or ½ bag of mustard greens (sliced about 1 inch thick)
1 tablespoon of minced garlic
1 can Field Peas (drained)
1 can Black Eyed Peas (drained)
1 can Lima Beans (drained)
3 cups chicken broth (I use bouillon cubes and follow the pkg directions)
        3 cups beef broth (again I use bouillon cubes)
½ tsp ground Chipotle pepper powder
½ tsp Hickory Smoked Salt
1 tbsp Garlic Powder
1 tbsp Onion Powder
3 Bay leaves
1 tsp Tony Chachere’s

Preparation
In a sauce pan, sauté the onion, garlic, bell pepper, celery, and carrots until slightly tender.  At the same time in a separate pan, sauté the Andouille sausage until it is browned on both sides.  Put the sausage onto paper towels when down to drain excess fat.  Combine the veggies, sausage, and the rest of the ingredients into a large crockpot.  Cook on high for 4-6 hours or low all day.  You can also cook this on the stove in a large pot on medium for about half an hour then turn down to low and cover for 2 or more hours.  This recipe makes a ton so it’s great for leftovers for a few days.  Serve with “Southern Cornbread” and a couple dashes of Crystal Hot Sauce on top of the soup.  Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment