Tuesday, June 9, 2015

Southern Cornbread


Okay so I thought that homemade cornbread was going to be the bane of my existence but finally, finally!  I was able to conquer it, after many many failed attempts, and now I can't eat it any other way!  My husband grew up eating homemade southern cornbread and I grew up eating semi-homemade out of the Jiffy box cornbread.  Being a newlywed I decided that I would take on the challenge and try to conquer the southern way of making cornbread in a cast iron skillet.  I have finally perfected my recipe and cook time and just had to share it with you!  I love this cornbread so much and try to pair it with everything haha!  I hope you love it too!  

Ingredients:
1 cup self-rising cornmeal (I prefer yellow cornmeal)
1/2 cup self-rising flour
3/4 cup buttermilk *see below
2 eggs
1 tablespoon of vegetable oil (you will need 3 additional tbsp for your skillet)
                2 tablespoons melted butter
                2-4 tablespoons of chopped pickled jalapeños *less if you don't like spice
                ½ tsp Onion Powder
                ½ tsp Garlic Powder
                1 tablespoon of Dried Minced Onion
                a few dashes of Tony Chachere’s 

Preparation

Pour about 3 tbsp of vegetable oil in your cast iron skillet and put in the oven while it’s preheating.

Preheat oven to 350°.

Combine all ingredients and mix well in a mixing bowl.  Once oven is preheated, remove cast iron skillet from oven and Pour batter into it.  Bake for approximately 20 minutes. Remove from oven and let cool for about a minute.  Serve warm with butter :)


*You can use almost ¾ cup regular milk and add about 1-2 tablespoons of white vinegar and stir with a fork then let it sit for about 7 minutes to create buttermilk.  This is what I do because I never have buttermilk.  I must confess that I have actually never made this recipe with real legit buttermilk because I always just do it this way.  


No comments:

Post a Comment